Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Inevitable Question

Those who know me ask "why the need to lose? You look fine!"

There is one answer for that: my mother.

My mother is overweight. She overeats, she stress eats, she's inactive and she complains about everything, but is unwilling to follow any goal through to the end.

These are habits that I've noticed I'm prone to, unless I really push myself. I've also never really learned how to set goals or how to achieve them. Losing weight and size are the ultimate exercise in goal-achievement and self-restraint, and doing them in a healthy way involves establishing healthy habits that will hopefully last a lifetime.

In addition, my thyroid is slowing down, and I accept the near inevitability that I will one day end up with a hypothyroid condition like my mother's, which will prompt weight gain. I hope that when that day comes, I am already living a lifestyle that allows me to combat it...

Call me shallow and self-centered, but my fear, my ultimate greatest fear in life is not bees, not poverty, not death, but being fat...being obese like my mother, without the will to do anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment